Custom intent audiences in Google Ads, allows you to reach the ideal audience or people for your business in your YouTube campaigns.
This can be achieved by segmenting your campaign Ad groups according to a specific set of keywords and landing pages that you would like to target. Google Ads will then show ads to people who are likely to be interested in these keywords on pages, apps, and videos.
You select a set of keywords, then your video ads will be shown to people whose past queries match your keywords when they’re watching YouTube. There are a lot of similarities and differences vs. traditional search campaigns when working with custom intent audiences.
Use custom intent audiences
To help Google Ads (AdWords) understand your ideal audience, it’s a best practice to add keywords and URLs (ideally 15 total) that fit a common theme. Avoid entering URLs that require people to sign in, such as social media, subscriptions or email pages.
Create a custom intent audience segment
The following steps are required to create a custom intent audience segment
- Starting by signing in to your Google Ads account.
- Click Display campaigns from the navigation panel, and select one of your active campaigns.
- Click Audiences.
- Click the pencil icon, then select Edit Ad group targeting.
- Select an Ad group.
- Under “Targeting,” select Narrow targeting and click the grey plus icon next to Audiences.
- Click the pencil icon next to Targeted Audiences.
- Select In-market and custom intent.
- Click the blue plus icon next to New custom intent audience.
- Create a meaningful name for your custom intent audience, and add related keywords or URLs this audience is actively researching.
- To the right, under “Ideas,” you can view suggested URLs, and under “Audience size,” you can preview estimated reach and demographic information about your custom intent audience.
- Click create.